Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Migraines Don't Motivate Me But My Girls Sure Do!

I been down with the sickly migraine so things have been really quiet around here. It's times like this, when I am feeling like laying low, that I'm thankful I have two such low laying girls to hang with me! And times that make me highly question my thoughts of getting a "higher drive" dog for our next four legged friend.

Of course the reverse proves true too. On our recent jaunt down south, during a chat about what motivates me to get out and train, my friend looked at Maizey laying upside down in my arms snoring away and commented, "well she's really not much help!" So true! It's much harder to roust out when they are content to curl up with me where ever I am. A pup that needed more activity would definitely drive me to give them just that.

This got me thinking about what really does motivate me to train and exercise my pups. The number one thing on the list would definitely be their needs. After two days of laying as still as possible and moaning about my head Maizey just couldn't take it anymore and made it clear we really must walk today. (That GIANT clock some sadistic maniac planted on my blog that is so clearly mocking me by screaming, "You are running out of time in your 30 miles in 30 days challenge" also helped!) And so out we went.

So the "What Motivates Me To Work With My Four Legged Friends" list:

1.) They are so much happier with regular mental and physical exercise
2.) I am so much happier when I regularly mentally and physically exercise with them.
3.) I am so much happier when they are happier!
4.) When I am irregular in working with Maizey it seems to be a "two steps forward, one step back" situation. Meaning: she doesn't lose her skills, but for example on a walk it takes her much longer to work out "the wigglies" and get down to paying attention and doing dome good work if its been a couple of days since she walked.
5.) I stay so much more organized if we work a little everyday, so our work time is much more productive.
6.). . .7.). . .8.). . .

And so the list will continue. I would love any hints as to what keeps everyone else motivated to keep teaching and learning those "4 legged lessons."

My 4 legged lesson of the day?

Turns out walking helps migraines much more than moaning! Thank you girls!

2 comments:

Marie said...

I'm sorry to hear that you've been suffering with migraines. I can't even imagine what it's like. :-(

I'm glad you felt better after you got out walking with the girls. I always feel better after I go walking too.

I honestly don't know what to say motivates me, maybe guilt. I feel guilty if I don't do something with the dogs. LOL

katie, Maizey and Magnus said...

Blunt honesty-ya know I love it!LOL It is so true though guilt does motivate me too! I guess in a good way . . .:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

My photo
Lessons From and For 4 Legs has moved to a new address: http://www.lessonsfrom4legs.com. Where we will continue to learn life's lessons from my little Cavalier King Charles Spaniel's, Maizey and Magnus. Don't miss Meeka's lessons too, by checking the archives of my big girl rescue Rottie. They all teach me so much!